Saturday 11 April 2015

THE BIG BEAUTY CULL: PART 1

beauty makeup clean out blog blogger flatlay

You know it's time for a serious clean-out when your makeup drawers refuse to close. It means things have seriously gotten out of hand. (Or maybe it's time to invest in bigger drawers heh). It feels like these products have been with me since the beginning of time, ie. so long that it's borderline disgusting. I probably should get a kick in the ass for breeding a colony of bacteria inside my room.
Anyways, LET THE CULLING COMMENCE.

[This will be split into two parts because you'll probably zone out halfway if this was one massive post.]

BASES
You know this is going to be a huge clear out when there's even subheadings. DAYUM.

So... BASES. It's well documented on here that I'm as pale as a freaking geisha so it should come as no surprise that many foundations are probably too dark for me. AND YET I STILL BUY THEM. 'Light' is never quite light enough. Story of my life.

Here's a list of the foundations that don't match and therefore have never been used more than once/twice: Maybelline SuperStay Foundation in Sand BeigeEssence Soft Touch Mousse in Matt SandGarnier BB Cream for Combo/Oily Skin in Light and Rimmel Match Perfection in 10 Light Porcelain. The amount of money wasted here makes me want to shoot myself in the foot.





When looking for great coverage, I liked the Covergirl Outlast Stay Fabulous Foundation in 825 Buff Beige but it's just a tad too dark. The Revlon Colorstay in Buff is a great match but its thick and heavy consistency meant that I broke out after that senior prom night (which was um, 2 years ago oops). The Maybelline Clear Smooth Aqua Gel Foundation has a lightweight feel and coverage, but wasn't enough for my usual skin disaster. *sigh*

The Face Shop Oil-free BB Cream is just the epitome of most asian BB creams aka, makes you look like you're dead in the face. Oh, and just check out that W7 Pressed Powder. Now isn't that just the definition of orange?

CHEEKS

I forgot to include the Benefit Some Kind-a-Gorgeous concealer in the previous photos but this is just the wrong shade. And THAT is the end of the Sheri-is-too-pale-for-foundation-story. Speaking of pale, the Suki Blush in 01 from Daiso is the lightest blush I own. And if it doesn't show up on ME... well.

I really liked the Essence Ready for Boarding Lip & Cheek Creme in Sending You Kisses but I soon realized that I'm more of a powder blush kind of girl. I actually FORGET to put on cream blush and by the time I remember, I've already powdered. Plus, this blush is looking disturbingly moist...

And you're probably wondering what Benefit's Hoola Bronzer is doing here. Surprise, it's a fake! I bought it just to test out the colour, but here's my PSA of the day: DON'T BUY FAKE MAKEUP (derr). It gave me cystic spots, and I guess I kinda deserved that.

EYELINERS

I feel like the beginning of my 'makeup journey' can be summed up in two words - PENCIL LINERS. Then I realized that most pencil liners just don't last on me and say hello to panda face! I took this opportunity to toss the offenders - the black pencil liner by Models Prefer and Rimmel's Soft Kohl Kajal Pencil. Also, the Essence Kajal Pencil in White used to be my go-to when lining my waterline. I don't know how I didn't accidentally gouge my eyes out because this pencil is SO SCRATCHY. Oww.

Before the Maybelline Master Precise, I used the Essence Eyeliner Pen which was good while it lasted, but then it became less than black and wouldn't last longer than 10 minutes without smudging. #monolidproblems. Similar story with the Rimmel Max Volume Flash Mascara - just smudge central. And the wand was too fat for my liking.

(Stay tuned for part 2 of the culling!)

Have you cleared out your collection recently?

Bloglovin | Instagram | Twitter