Monday 13 January 2014

Review: Oxy10 Extra Strength Vanishing Cream

My life involves being plagued with a constant, active breakout or pimple so I'm always on the search for an effective, preferably fast working spot treatment.

Yea. Thanks hormones/puberty. 

So it's about time I review the current spot treatment I've been trying for several months now.

Oxy 10 Extra Strength Vanishing Cream


Excuse the bad photo, the heatwave prevented me from taking the photo outside.

It's called "Oxy 10" because it contains 10% benzoyl peroxide which is a pretty potent dosage.
I picked it up because I thought since the concentration of benzoyl peroxide was higher than other acne treatments, it would be more effective.

Initially, I was pleased with this product. It worked pretty quickly and within 1-2 days, the pimple had significantly reduced in size. It had also begun to work on stubborn, bigger pimples so I was overjoyed.

It would also help to prevent a new breakout from sprouting and I would apply this to the area if I felt even the tiniest bump starting to form.


However, over time, I feel like it was becoming less effective. Perhaps my skin adjusted to it?

Also, because of the 10% benzoyl peroxide, it would start to insanely dry out my skin, especially since I was applying it every day. This was an issue because not only would the spot still exist, it was also dry and flaky which did not help the situation.

And I'm sure we all know what it's like trying to conceal a dry pimple with foundation. Hopeless. And gross.


I would recommend this to those who are struggling with stubborn pimples that reject all other treatment. But just be wary, that it is very drying.

I would not repurchase, and I'm looking for an effective spot treatment that will not dry out the area, so please leave any suggestions down below!

Oxy 10 and Oxy 5 (5% benzoyl peroxide) vanishing cream is available at Priceline for around AUD$15.


By the way, I'm getting very frustrated with my skin because no matter what I do, even if I do not pick at a spot, it will almost definitely leave a dark red mark behind. Any solutions?



Sheri





20 comments:

  1. I've actually never tried any spot treatments before, but this one sounds interesting. Too bad it's drying though, but luckily it's affordable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What? o_o What do you use to treat pimples? Unless you don't get any :O

      Delete
  2. I feel ya! I'm so nice to my pimples, don't touch them etc and what do I get in return? An ugly mark left on my face! So freaken annoying :/

    letsrunawayx.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah.. probably just have delicate skin :(

      Delete
  3. I think that all intense acne treatments always dry out your skin - it's the way science thinks is the best way to eradicate the grease I think. But it SUCKS when you have to go through all of the testing to just end up with flaky skin. Ah!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh I totally get the red spot mark after a pimple regardless if i touch it as well! +1 to knowing a solution. The oxy seems catered to those with super oily skin - probably will give it a miss since i have dry skin.

    ♥ M&L
    <a href="http://twoplicates.blogspot.com.au/2014/01/thankyou-bloggiversary-giveaway_12.html”>Enter our Bloggiversary Giveaway!</a>

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, I have combination skin so the dry parts don't take it too well.

      Delete
  5. A shame it stopped working great for you, but I'm guessing you're right in that it dried out your skin. I use Fixaderm on my breakouts when I get them, and it seems to work really good without drying them out too much. I can imagine this particular product would be good for people who get them every now and then, and more likely "body acne" rather than facial, so that the dryness isn't as bad?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I think so! I'll look up fixaderm, thanks!

      Delete
  6. Same thing happened to me with my Oxy10! It worked great at getting rid of every kind of zit that popped up on my face, but after a while the effectivity just stopped. I'd notice my zits didn't change even if I practically left a dollop of this on it overnight.

    It's also super drying, I agree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, I'm glad there's someone in the same boat!

      Delete
  7. Ive used Oxy 5 before and even that was far to drying on my skin. I found the same thing too, it stopped working after a while. At the moment I'm trying out Azclear which I got from Chemist warehouse. Its going okay.

    melaniface.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank goodness I'm not the only one who experienced it.

      Delete
  8. Have you used Effaclar Duo before? It keeps any 'real' pimples at bay for me, only thing that has really worked and I was struggling a lot with my skin. Spot treatment I swear by is the Mario Badescu Drying Lotion which you apply right on the spot but it doesn't dry your skin out, and the buffering lotion is amazing for cystic acne that is under the skin, bumps and whatnot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do want to try effaclar duo someday! And ooh I've heard about the Mario Badescu one. Thanks so much for the suggestions!

      Delete
  9. Rose hip oil is really the only thing I recommend. I have no idea about spot treatments - La Roche-Posay Effaclar Duo seems to work okay but it really darkens pimples in my opinion which is a major no-no.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Agree with Emma... Effaclar duo and Mario Badescu drying lotion has changed my skin. I also use rosehip oil at night which helps with tricking your skin into thinking that it doesn't need to over produce oil, and it also helps with healing scars

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aww these treatments tend to be super drying to the skin which isn't so good! Try an oil cleanser (Sanctuary Spa which you can get from Priceline has a really nice one!) which is amazing at removing makeup as well- it's great because it doesn't strip the natural oils from your skin, making your skin produce more oil! Rosehip oil is amazing for all skin types and doesn't cause breakouts, definitely worth a go (I love Trilogy's rosehip oil). I have heard great things about La Roche Posay's Effaclar Duo before but I haven't used it myself- you can also get it at Priceline now :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. ugh. unfortuntely these harsh acned creams are almost alwyas drying especially with such a high concentration of peroxide (and it probably has some alcohol in the product too) that's the unfortuatnely trade off. you either go lower in dose and it takes longer, or higher but you get dried out.
    Jenn
    A Beautiful Zen

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for reading! Your comments make my day.