Wednesday 27 August 2014

The Black Lining

best black eyeliner pencil liquid gel drugstore beauty blog post

Eyeliner is one aspect of my makeup I've always struggled with. I regard my eyeliner skills as mediocre at best, due to it taking almost half an hour for me to draw an acceptable straight line. I can't tell you how many times a black line has become a circumference of smudge central around my eyeballs. Now that's some definition.
Over the years, I've accumulated quite a number of eyeball-tracing products - some of which are awesome and make the process much less tedious, while others I wouldn't personally go out and buy again.

Maybelline Master Precise Liquid Eyeliner (RRP$13.95)
Ah, the Master Precise. It is possibly the most talked about drugstore eyeliner so naturally, after my ears got sick of hearing about it, I had to go out and try it for myself. It has a very fine tip which is surprisingly easy to use, so fellow eyeliner-incompetent friends - take note of this one! While it doesn't hold up for as long as I'd like it to, it doesn't transfer (hurrah!) and is currently my go-to liquid eyeliner.

Essence Eyeliner Pen (RRP$4.50)
This product brings back memories as it was my first liquid liner. While it is super easy to use and cheap as chips (a very important point), my heart still lies with the Maybelline Master Precise, simply because the lasting power is so much better. This lasts me about 4 hours if I somehow manage not to rub my eyes. With this, I also have to go over a couple of times to get the desired opacity.

Milani Liquif'eye Metallic Eyeliner Pencil (USD$6)
Here's another raved about eyeliner. I don't often go for liners in the pencil form but when I do, this is my product of choice. This is possibly the creamiest pencil eyeliner I've ever tried and the staying power is quite impressive. Once set, it really does not budge and the colour is super black to boot. Definitely recommend it if you are looking for a pencil liner that won't run away from your eyes.

Essence Long-lasting Eye Pencil in 'Black Fever' (RRP$2.75)
With the name like 'long-lasting eye pencil', you would expect it to last and it does. Unfortunately, it is present as a smudgy mess at the end of the day due to its soft creamy texture. At times like those, I'm just grateful that I wear glasses. The twist-up applicator is a nice touch but I'd rather not undergo a dramatic transformation into a panda as the day progresses.

Prestige Total Intensity Eyeliner in 'Strong Slate' (RRP$14.95)
Technically, this isn't really black but is a shimmery grey which is close enough. This is a product that doesn't get much love as it should. The metallic sheen is really beautiful and gives definition while making the eyes stand out. The product itself is nice and creamy and the wear time is average, but it is a good one for those who want something less harsh than black.

Essence Gel Eyeliner (RRP$3.99)
You knew this was coming! Regular readers know that this is my favorite eyeliner to have ever graced my eyelids. To sum it out, it's super black, creamy and will stick with you in times of blood, sweat and tears, in sickness and in health. I use it with my Ecotools eyeliner brush and these two are just a winning, user-friendly combo. Every time I dip my brush in, I let out sobs of anguish as it is discontinued but I believe lucky American gals can still get it from Ulta etc.

maybelline master precise essence eyeliner pen milani liquifeye essence longlasting prestige total intensity strong slate essence gel eyeliner swatches
L to R: Maybelline Master Precise // Essence Eyeliner Pen // Milani Liquifeye // Essence Long Lasting Eye Pencil in 'Black Fever' //
Prestige Total Intensity Eyeliner in 'Strong Slate' // Essence Gel Eyeliner











\
What is your favorite eyeliner of all time? 
Stalk me on: Bloglovin | Instagram | Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for reading! Your comments make my day.